Saturday, June 20, 2015

Library websites

This week we were tasked with finding two school library websites of interest. I knew which one I'd pick first! I have a personal connection to this site. Not only did I have a child at this school, the library staff here have been incredible mentors for me. But besides that, they have a great library website. It's simple in appearance, but it contains links to resources for ongoing research projects or class assignments, the library newsletter, the catalog, and library hours/events. It is updated often.

The site: Kemps Landing/Old Donation School Library. 

For the second exemplary site, after clicking around on a bunch of ho-hum or overcrowded sites, I settled on Moharimet Elementary School in Madbury, New Hampshire. Like the website I mentioned above, it has a clean and clear interface with top-level, right to left navigation bar and drop-down menus with clear links either to internal sites or external resources. The interface is pleasing to a child and very easy to navigate. The parent resources on the left hand bar are a nice touch.

For my own website assignment, I will most likely use Weebly as I have used it successfully before. In fact, Alysia Deem (In the Library with the Wrench) and I created a Weebly site this past semester, and I think it came out very well. This was for a class on teaching social studies. Here is our Gallery Walk. Last fall, I also created a digital technology portfolio on Weebly for my instructional technology class. These sites are very different. Weebly is a flexible tool.

2 comments:

  1. It's wonderful that you were able to use the website for the library at your sons' school! I know you were glad to see that the site met so many of the criteria we were looking for. I love that you already have practice using Weebly for so many things. I am having a little trouble grasping how things work on it...can't figure out how to cut and paste, for instance, or how to "undo", which is making my messes compound on one another. If you know how to do these things, by chance, I'd love a tip! Thanks for your always interesting and informative blog posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are right, Wendy. Those sites are great. I really like the clean and zen appearance of the KLMS site. They have lots of good links as well. Thanks for sharing. :)

    ReplyDelete