Wednesday, June 3, 2015

Infographic-tastic

This week's assignment was fun for me! I used Piktochart to create an awesome infographic about adult literacy, which is one of my own topics of interest. I have some graphic design background but I have never tried to create an infographic before. I'm familiar with the graphic design and layout tools in Indesign, Photoshop, and other programs, and I found Piktochart to be quite intuitive. However, I became intensely frustrated at first, having chosen a free, pre-made theme to work with. I found it impossible to figure out how to edit it to be what I wanted, so I scrapped it and used a blank template. I am very pleased with how it came out.

Because I am a bit of a perfectionist, I am sure I spent longer on this than I really had to, but I found the site had a great ability to tweak things to exactly how I wanted them. I was able to use some of the site's automatic chart creation tools for my stacked Venn diagrams, and though it was tricky to figure out, the many different choices and customization tools made it worth it to muddle through. I would definitely encourage older students to use Piktochart to display data. I think that in order to make the process not take forever, though, figuring out how to manipulate the pre-fab templates is a must.

Without further ado: (Click here for larger version, opens in new window)




9 comments:

  1. Wow! I am impressed. I have so much to learn about creating infographics but it seems like you already have the hang of it. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job!! Your infographic is inviting and not overwhelming even though it presents a lot of data. I like the design making it look like a notepad one's refrigerator (don't know if that was your intent but it worked and made it feel less formal).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Wendy! I am really impressed with your infographic. It turned out really nicely! I like that you used white as your background and the complementary colors to contrast with it. In addition, your facts and charts were impressive! Good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done, Wendy! You have a lot of information but it is not cluttered or overwhelming at all! I used Piktochart as well and really liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks so professional! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like this infographic. It's very informative and appealing. I used piktochart too and found it user friendly, but some tools were slow when trying to input material.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! Great job! I love all of your information. It is well presented. I loved piktochart as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks everyone! After seeing everyone else's, I feel like mine has too much stuff on it. And after seeing Piktochart's presentation mode, I wish I had broken this up into more "blocks," because you can do a great slide show on Piktochart. That site is such a great find.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Wendy! Love your infographic. You're so great with this kind of stuff, I knew yours would be good! By the way, thanks for the tips on Piktochart. I'll have to give it another try.

    ReplyDelete